I had no ever heard of Tabbouleh until my first restaurant job in college. We made it fresh everyday and it quickly became one of my favorite salads of all time.
My go to salad to take to any potluck or party, this dish is a crowd pleaser. It is fresh, simple with just enough tang and creaminess for the perfect bite every time.
Traditionally it is made with bulgur wheat so I have not made it in many years since being diagnosed with Celiac disease. That all changed a few days ago and now I am obsessed.
I switched the bulgur wheat for quinoa, used the same proportions as I (think) I remember back at Doe's Pita Plus in Charleston and it turned out just as delicious as it was back then. Try it for your self and let me know how much you like it too.
1 cup quinoa
1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
½ cup olive oil
3 cups fresh parsley
½ cup fresh mint
1 small cucumber, seeds removed
1 bunch scallions
2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp pepper
1. Cook quinoa according to package directions
2. Squeeze lemon juice and combine with olive oil in large bowl. Place Quinoa in bowl after finished cooking.
3. Cut parsley, mint and combine with quinoa mixture.
4. Dice cucumber, scallions and blend with quinoa.
5. Add salt and pepper. Mix well and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.