I LOVE roasted veggies. Maybe because they are a little crunchy and salty. Perhaps because they are so easy and can be made to toss into just about any pasta, sandwich or salad. It does not really matter why but I adore them and they are on the menu in my house every week.
You can use whatever vegetables are in season. The ones that work best are the veggies you love and that can stand up to the heat of the oven. I like mine on the crispy side so 25 minutes for bake time but you can shorten that up if you want them softer.
Though it is full of fiber and nutrients you won't be able to tell from how good this salad comes together.
Roasted Vegetable Salad
1/2 zucchini squash*
1/2 yellow squash*
2 tsp olive oil (regular, not EVOO) plus 2 teaspoons for dressing
2 c organic arugula
Juice one lemon (or 1 tbsp vinegar)
1 T almonds or pecans
1. Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Cut squash and carrot into ½ inch rounds, and slice onion equally thick. Put in a baking sheet and cover with 1 tsp oil and a dash of salt.
3. Roast veggies for about 25 minutes or until browned and tender, turning once.
4. While vegetables are roasting, juice lemon in a small bowl and whisk in remaining oil and add sea salt to taste.
5. Put 2 cups salad mix in each bowl and top with veggies and dressing.
6. Sprinkle with nuts and serve.
*May substitute winter squash such as butternut or acorn and/or beets or fennel if those are more in season.