As the weather is turning from cold to warm and spring is in the air, I love to enjoy tasty soups using fresh vegetables. This Broccoli and Arugula Soup recipe is easy and quick to make but is a crowd pleaser for sure. I typically have some homemade vegetable stock in my freezer, which makes this an even richer tasting soup. Enjoy the deep green color of the soup and drizzle with lemon and olive oil for a delicious finish.
Broccoli Arugula Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1‐2 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets
- 2 small Yukon gold potatoes
- 2‐3 cups vegetable broth (store bought or see below for recipe)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup arugula
- 1/2 lemon
- Heat the olive oil in a medium-sized nonstick saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and onion and sauté until soft & fragrant.
- Add the broccoli and cook for four minutes or until bright green.
- Add the water, salt and pepper, bring to a boil, lower the heat and cover. Cook until the broccoli is just tender.
- Pour the soup into a blender and puree with the arugula until quite smooth. Serve the soup with a bit of fresh lemon.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (regular, not EVOO)
- 2 organic sweet potatoes, cut in large slices
- 1 large organic onion, cut in large slices
- 1 large organic turnip, cut in large slices
- 2 organic fennel bulbs, cut in large slices
- Sea salt
- 1 bay leaf
- Filtered water
- Add oil to large soup pot, heated to medium high heat.
- Place all vegetables in pot and allow to brown, stirring every few minutes.
- As vegetables brown, add salt and bay leaf; stir in and allow to cook for 2 minutes.
- Add water to top of pot and turn down heat to simmer when it boils.
- Simmer stock for several hours, adding water to top off when it boils down.
- Stock will be finished in 2-3 hours. Turn off heat and let cool, then strain into large bowl. Add stock to pint mason jars to freeze (only fill ¾ of the jar) or in glass container for refrigerator.